The heat is here and we know we need air conditioning tips to keep cool. Denver and all of Colorado are experiencing the warmer temperatures now and that means homeowners, businesses, and everyone are looking for ways to stay cool. Unfortunately, that also means that energy companies will be raising their prices during peak use times, and using an air conditioner for relief might be costly. So in the spirit of quality air comfort, Fox would like to suggest some air conditioning tips to keep your house cooler during the hotter months.
How hot should my home be?
The short of it is, any temperature you are comfortable with.
“Americans should set their thermostats to whatever temperature they choose. The 2009 EPA Energy Star report should simply be used as a resource for people seeking to achieve greater energy savings in their homes, should they choose to do so,” the DOE said in a statement to KING 5.
Energy Star is a joint Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Department of Energy (DOE) program with a mission of providing information to consumers and businesses to increase energy efficiency and cost savings, according to the DOE.
Keep Your Air Conditioner at 78 Degrees (During the Day)
Not every air conditioning tip is going to be an ideal solution but this one is pretty straightforward and does have a trade-off. Homeowners and businesses can avoid cranking up the air conditioner during the day to save usage and energy. 78 degrees isn’t complete comfort but compared to a 100-degree temperature day, like the ones Denver has already experienced, it’s a lot better than nothing at all. This also lines up with combatting energy companies with their peak-usage timeframes. This is when energy companies charge higher rates during higher demand times (like during the workday when people need a).
Bottom line: if you can make it through the day without cranking the air conditioning system then your wallet will see some relief. We don’t mean the air conditioning tip is to keep the system off the entire time, just flip it back on later in the day or in the evening when the natural weather will help cool the house down too.
Close those windows and open those vents
Another air conditioning tip that is straightforward is about those windows and vents. Nothing like a bit of fresh air in the morning right? Just don’t forget to close those windows before you get on with your day. Having windows open and even cracked will cause valuable cool air to leak out of your home. This also causes your air conditioning unit to work overtime and unnecessarily work too. During the day, and sometimes night, keep those windows closed to keep your home sealed for maximum air conditioning efficiency.
Closing one door and opening another, but in this case, we mean vents. It may seem sensible at a time to close vents to direct cooler air to more important areas of your home. But do not do this if you want your air conditioning system to work properly. Opening your home’s vents will help evenly distribute the cooler air throughout the home and make it so the air conditioner isn’t working harder or more frequently. A professional HVAC contractor will have your vents and ducting laid out as efficiently as possible according to manual J, D, and S energy reports. Closing any part of the layout may cause more harm than good.
Air Conditioning Tips about Operating Your Thermostat Efficiently
- Set your thermostat at a temperature you find comfortable and that provides humidity control if needed. The smaller the difference between the indoor and outdoor temperatures, the lower your overall cooling bill will be.
- Keep your house warmer than normal when you are away, and lower the thermostat setting when you return home and need cooling. A programmable thermostat allows you to do this automatically and without sacrificing comfort.
- Avoid setting your thermostat at a colder setting than normal when you first turn on your air conditioner. It will not cool your home any faster and could result in excessive cooling and unnecessary expense.
Air Conditioning Tips about using fans and ventilation
- Turn off ceiling fans when you leave the room. Remember that fans cool people, not rooms, by creating a wind chill effect.
- When you shower or take a bath, use the bathroom fan to remove heat and humidity from your home. Your laundry room might also benefit from spot ventilation. Make sure bathroom and kitchen fans are vented to the outside (not just to the attic).
- Find ENERGY STAR ventilating fans.
Air Conditioning Tips To Keeping Your AC Unit Running Smoothly
- For maximum energy affordability, schedule regular maintenance for your cooling equipment.
- Avoid placing lamps or TV sets near your room air-conditioning thermostat. The thermostat senses heat from these appliances, which can cause the air conditioner to run longer than necessary.
- Learn additional air conditioning tips for operating a room air conditioner efficiently.
- Vacuum your air intake vents regularly to remove any dust buildup. Ensure that furniture and other objects are not blocking the airflow through your registers.
No single air conditioning tips is going to solve the summer’s sweltering heat. But with a little consideration and some timely ac maintenance or ac repair – your home will be the coolest around. Fox Heating and Cooling want to make sure all homes and businesses in the Denver metro area are receiving the best quality air comfort possible. So if you are experiencing issues with your air conditioner unit and or need an air conditioner installation please contact Fox Heating and Cooling for assistance immediately.